'The Motorhome...What You Need to Know, Before You Go'
Towards the end of last year a friend suggested I publish my book, 'The Motorhome, What You Need to Know Before You Go' as an audiobook. I didn't think it would work in that format and told her so. However, the next day I was walking along the high street in Potter's Bar and low and behold, there was a recording studio. What were the chances? It seemed as though fate had dealt me a card and that I should investigate. A chat with Andrew ensued and I booked a sound test. This would give us an idea if I could narrate a book or if I should employ a professional. The result is now available to buy from a full range of audio book retailers and it's narrated by me. I think I'm talking too slowly and I'm not sure if it works. However, it's out there. Retails at £6.99. Still less to buy than a couple of coffees and a cake or a couple of magazines.
I've had some bad reviews lately on Amazon. The funniest was entitled 'Dull, dull dull' and the content of the review was that 'He' (the author) had simply listed a list of places he'd visited. Remembering the 'sticks and stones' rhyme from my youth I really wasn't harmed by the view. However, if you're going to criticize make sure you have the right book and author. There are a couple of check lists and the author is not a he. I would love to publish more and welcome constructive feedback.
Do lend an ear to the sample and perhaps buy a copy to listen to on your next trip away.
Audio book from Audible here
i tunes here
Have fun and happy travels.
Other formats still available!
Buy a copy now...
Buy direct from Ali for just £6.99
Click the 'buy now' button on the right to pay with PayPal or click the image on the left to buy through Smashwords.
If you would like Ali to sign your copy contact her & fill out the form. Don't forget to include any relevant information such as a personalised message to go inside the book.
- 'The Motorhome...What You Need to Know, Before You Go.' Is available as a paperback for only £6.99 from Amazon or at Greentrees Adventurestore in Dereham. If your favourite bookstore doesn't stock it, you can quote the ISBN and order a copy.
- The ISBN is 978-0-9929612-4-4.
- If you like a digital book, it's also available in all e-book formats, not just for Kindle. Click here and download a free sample.
- More retailers (and books) on the way, so come back soon!
The Motorhome...What You Need to Know Before You Go
- This book could have an alternative sub-title - 'What They Wish They'd Known, Before They Set Off' because when Ali and Mike Kingston left the UK in their first motorhome, with the intention of living in it full-time they didn't have any of the information in this book.
- Subjects covered include; choosing a motorhome, everyday life, safety and security, where to stay, full-time living, how to manage on a budget and some coping strategies for sharing a confined space with a life partner. Ali has included bullet point lists to help you prioritise the important parts in life and her ideas inspire the uncertain to leave the rat race and live the dream.
- Ali has written this book to show anyone interested in a motorhome what it is like to own one and live in it. She has included everything she can think of, based on what she's done, and where she's been with Mike. She thought that the technical stuff could be a bit dull and has livened it up with forty personal photographs and a few anecdotes gathered during their years on the road.
- If you're interested in motorhomes for any reason; a friend may own one, you may be thinking of renting or buying one for a holiday or a road trip. Even if you're knowledgeable about motorhomes, you will still pick up useful tips.
There are over 90 web links included for continued research, you don't even need to leave your armchair to find out more.
On line courses with the Australian College of Journalism and The Open Colleges offer a variety of courses including fiction, non-fiction and travel writing.
Travel Writing Workshop
- If you're interested in taking your travel writing further, I attended one of Peter Carty's travel writing workshops in April 2012. The information I learned on the day has proved to be useful. The courses he offers are evolving all the time so its worth having a look at his website: http://www.travelwritingworkshop.co.uk/
- A surreptitious photo was taken of me that day that's it on the left. Peter is sitting between me and another attendee and no, I'm not picking my nose....
Written by one of the country's leading personal protection experts and motorhome enthusiast, look no further than The Motorhome Security Handbbook by James Brown to help stay safe on the road.